Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Parent Teacher Conferences

Last night Mark and I went to meet with Bailey's 5th grade teacher for parent/teacher conferences. Before we left, I asked Bailey if there would be any surprises, to which she replied, "You already know I talk too much." Oh, great. A repeat of every conference since Kindergarten and something I'm sure my Mom will love for its payback quality. But, after much thought, I've decided that if you are going to have a school issue with your child, being too social is definitely one I can live with. How many world leaders, successful performers, dynamic CEOs were too introverted, didn't participate in class and had too little friends? My guess is not many. Although it is important to listen, follow directions and show respect to others (reasons why we won't completely blow this off), being a likeable and social leader is a quality to celebrate....maybe not as much when you are ten and in 5th grade, but for sure an excellent quality as an adult.

We also learned that Bailey would have a 100% in spelling homework....IF she turned it in. However, we learned that this isn't always happening, despite the "I did it at school" comments we often hear. Hey - what would a conference be without a couple areas for improvement, right? We'll be nipping that in the bud right quick.

Now, on to the good stuff... "Bailey is a GREAT kid and I really enjoy her." "Bailey is developing into an excellent writer." "She is a fun kid and very bright." WOO-HOO! Despite my parenting, she's turning out alright! She'll have to think of different material to complain about someday on Oprah - but this ain't it!

We are very, VERY proud of this kid and love her so much. All we can do is hope and pray that she knows that today...tomorrow...in middle school, high school, college....always.

Don't hate me because I'm right, Bailey - just love me because I'm proud.


Love,
Mom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home