Thursday, February 08, 2007

Homework!

I hate homework! I hated it 20 years ago - and I hate it now. Bailey USUALLY doesn't have too much of it - but last night there was a lot. She worked for a couple hours on it, took a break to eat dinner, then started it again. She had forgotten her math book, but no worries - you can access the textbook online.....usually. Apparently the site was temporarily down. Oh - the LUCK! I so know that feeling. So, on to social studies. What the hell is an economies map, anyway? Did I learn that when I was younger? Apparently it is one of those things that you really need to know later in life (NOT). By now her head aches and she is exhausted. She asks me if she can go to bed and wake up early to finish homework. Now - I KNOW this isn't a good idea, but I feel sorry for her and say "OK."

So 6:30 arrives and I hear Bailey's alarm go off and she is actually getting out of bed! yeah! Maybe she WILL get everything done....well everything but math. The ONE thing she really SHOULD get done. Now, I won't make an excuse for her forgetting her text book at school, even though the online text SHOULD have been working. But I will make an observation that if she brought all of the textbooks home for the homework she had last night...it wouldn't have fit in her backpack. And THAT is silly.

Ok - back to the story - so Bailey was stressed when she got home from school, stressed when she went to bed, stressed when she woke up, and stressed when she headed out the door with her Pop-Tart (aka - her "healthy" breakfast before ITBS testing all this week). I'm guessing it is the ITBS testing that is causing the increase in homework -- but honestly - how are they supposed to get a "good night's rest" for testing if they are piling on the homework like that?

At least when she gets to school this morning, her day will start with a voice lesson - one of her favorite parts of school. I hope she has a good day - and I hope everyone appreciates that she knows the land use in Queensland, Australia and the average rainfall in Urbandale, Iowa. As for classzone.com -- get your site up and running! There are stressed out 6th graders and parents depending on you!

Middle school - not so much fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home