Wednesday, April 12, 2006

DRAKE RELAYS


Today we received a letter from Bailey's school that said:

"Your daughter has one of the top 50-yard dash times in our school....Because of her performance, she is eligible to be on the Jensen DRAKE RELAYS TEAM!!!"(ok - I added the exclamation points - they weren't in the letter).

SO...the two fastest girls and the two fastest boys from her school form their relay team. They will race 60-yards each in a relay format at the opening ceremonies of the 2006 Drake Relays! They will compete against other schools in the Des Moines metro area. In addition, they will be part of the "Parade of Athletes" which will include college and elite athletes from all over the United States and in some cases around the world. Because Drake (my alma mater) just redid the track stadium and football field, they are going all out to showcase it at this year's Relays.

There will be a hot air balloon ascension at the beginning of opening ceremonies, a parade of athletes, a lighting of the cauldron and fireworks. This is truly a BIG DEAL!

Here's a peek at the new stadium and track:


Just for participating, Bailey will receive an official Drake Relays baton. The big event is scheduled for Friday evening, April 28. We can't wait! In the meantime, she and the other three will be practicing the baton handoff during lunch recess. I will be calling for our tickets tomorrow - and I'm thinking I better get an alumni discount - didn't they get enough of my money already?!@ sheesh.

Lesson I'm learning: Preteens are expensive.

I'M SO PROUD OF BAILEY all the time - but she is having the best week EVER adn I'm bustin' my buttons with pride this week!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home