Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Reflections on the Good Ole Days

The girls and I just returned from Lexington, Kentucky where we spent a few days visiting my brother, Jason, his wife, Michelle and their new son, Wyatt.

This was the first time we met Wyatt and it was WONDERFUL! He is just 2 1/2 weeks older than Lauren, so watching the two babies together was great fun. We wondered who would emerge as Alpha Baby

and it turns out when you get two Alphas together it is HILARIOUS! They had fun exploring one another, tearing toys out of each other's mouth, back-handing each other for dominant position, hugging, biting, kissing and pinching. Good times.



As if two babies weren't enough fun for a pre-teen, Bailey was also treated to a special walk with Jason to feed the ducks, as well as a trip to the Kentucky Horse Park where she and I went horseback riding. She was SO EXCITED!!!! Her horse was named Alcazar. Mine was named Butch.....nice.


When Jason dropped us off in Louisville our final night, I experienced an emotional breakdown similiar to the post-wedding experience. The trip was wonderful, but I was so saddened by the thought of not seeing them for a long time. When WOULD I get to see my nephew again? That got me thinking about my childhood. My aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents lived within 20 miles from my home. There wasn't a birthday party, school program or ball game missed. Family photos show dozens of relatives there to celebrate each milestone. I remember impromptu visits from my aunt, my Grandpa stopping his work to push me on my swingset, fishing with my other Grandpa, and baking cookies with Grandma.

Will Wyatt even know who I am as he grows up? Will Lauren remember her aunts and uncles? Will she be able to hold on to the memories of her grandparents and great-grandparents when she only sees them once or twice a year? The thought that she won't or that Wyatt won't really know his aunt Jodi or have memories of fun times with me is depressing to say the least.

In case I never have the opportunity to see him more than once a year - I want Wyatt to know that his favorite aunt loves him VERY much and if we lived closer I would go to every ball game, every school program and wouldn't miss a birthday party - not ever. And if we went to Toys R Us, I'd buy him his favorite toys....and buy him a cookie on the way home. So there.

Oh - and air travel sucks with a 10-month-old....fyi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home