Tuesday, February 27, 2007

So Proud

I've posted on this subject before, but today it really rang true. I was at the grocery store with Lauren when I ran into another Mom I know. She has a daughter that was in Bailey's class last year. The two girls spent a couple days together over the summer and e-mail...but I wouldn't say they were fast friends. In fact, Bailey invited this girl to her birthday party and she was a real loner...didn't want to participate in any of the games - just felt like a party-pooper really.

Anyway - the Mom said to me today that her daughter has been diagnosed with ADD - and that they've learned that sometimes ADD kids aren't very social and don't seek out friendships. Her Mom then mentioned that she's been having a very tough time in middle school with friendships (that IS the theme of middle school, isn't it?) She went on to say that her daughter comes home from school and says "The only person who is nice to me is Bailey - even though we aren't in the same class this year and don't see each other much, she always runs up and says hi to me." This Mom almost started to tear up and said for me to tell Bailey THANK YOU...that it means SO much to she and her daughter.

Now - the BEST part of this story? I know that if I tell Bailey this girl's Mom said thank you...Bailey will look at me with a look of bewilderment...because she honestly won't see it as a big deal. She KNOWS this girl is not cool....she KNOWS her cool friends would "like, totally make fun" of her...but she doesn't care. That isn't to say that being cool isn't important to Bailey...but at age eleven...she already knows that being a good person is way more cool than anything else. I'm SOOO proud of her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home